Thursday, March 28, 2013

Past Day 2


Day 2

I often enjoy looking down at the city below from my dovecote window. The rhythms of contemporary life are relaxing to me, and I can easily become lost in my thoughts, watching the proceedings of the day. People leave shops, and enter other ones. People pass by in their silly metal chariots. People wait, occasionally glancing at their wrists, for a metal dragon to devour them and whisk them away to our holy god knows where. Why do they not run from the dragon? Why do they stand there and allow themselves to be eaten? Well, let me tell you.
Once, I tried to protect the people from the dragon. I happened to be passing by on my way home from buying seeds, when I saw the line that had formed in front of its mouth. A man was about to climb inside, he already had his left foot on its bottom tooth. Dropping my seed pouch, I ran to his aid, shoving him to the ground just in time. I pushed away some of the other people in line, as well, and began screaming at them to get as far away from the beast as they could. They stared at me as though in a dumbfounded trance. It was then I realized they were under the dragon's hypnosis. It is an easy thing, I understand, to catch a prey that offers itself to you. A cunning but ignoble ploy.
I climbed up on top of the dragon and started hitting it with my cane. I wished, not for the first time that day, that I still had my sword. I bashed the dragon's eyes from atop its mighty square forehead, and to my surprise they shattered, almost like glass.
I could see directly into the monster's stomach. At least twenty people were in there, waiting to die. They began to scream, jumping out the side-eyes, doing anything they could to get away.
"Yes! Run! Be free!" I joyously told them.
The police came. They asked me a few questions and then took me to jail. I did not understand why. I explained to them that the dragon was not a wise, scholarly dragon, but actually one of the more warlike breeds. Many times in fact. But they didn't seem to believe me. I served one night in prison. When I got out, I was surprised to see a new dragon there on the corner, claiming more victims. I tried to slay it, too, but this time the person sitting at the front of the dragon tazed me. I noticed there was a picture of me hanging on the wall of the dragon's innards.
After serving three more days in jail I tried again with the same result. Now I no longer try. I feel sorry for those poor people, but I am just one man against a great force. Perhaps when I was younger, I could have won this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment